Stihl 361 Junkyard Zombie Mutant

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me too! I’m not sure what’s up here. I haven’t been able to get spark no matter what coil I use. I’m going to try an 036 coil if I can fit it. I kinda suspect my flywheel.
Oh... And do the mags pass buy the coil in alignment? Throwing darts here... Spacing correct? Pole orientation? I'm wondering if the coil needs to be shimmed out, or shaved in... Assuming the bigger wheel may not line up dead center with coil arms.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh... And do the mags pass buy the coil in alignment? Throwing darts here... Spacing correct? Pole orientation? I'm wondering if the coil needs to be shimmed out, or shaved in... Assuming the bigger wheel may not line up dead center with coil arms.

I did end up shimming the coil to center it on the magnets. No spark. Magnets are plenty grabby, I can’t see how anything else would matter on an old 36 flywheel.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are the mags good? Great thread Caleb! You're funnier than a rubber crutch. I'm almost out of popcorn. 🤣I have laughed out loud so many times reading this. I've shared it with my buddy who's not on here. He said he may join just for the entertainment and education!
RUBBER CRUTCH. Not to DERAIL But I instantly visualized Gene Tracy Truckstop Tapes (8 Tracks) Fell Flat on his Arse ,, Brother Harold's a Cripple ya know. Caleb has the floor (this is his thread) and he is drawing us'ns into it.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New boot, coil and filter.

IMG_2067.jpeg

These DZE coils seem as good as oem. That’s a Viton boot. I hope it’s better than the other AM junk. The FT filter fits like crap and the seal is de-laminated. Not sure if I’ll use it.

The coil does seem to have been the problem. The first hour of pulls was a lot of coughing, backfires and cursing. I ended up shifting the timing in about 8 degree increments until I landed on a working spot. About 16 degrees advanced. Basically the whole key.

But she’s thumping! I still have a bar stud issue and haven’t landed on a final tune. Hoping for vids this weekend.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
10:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
361’s have pretty hot timing from the factory - may not need any advance at all.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
8:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joe was doing some tests on an almost stock 361 and going from the OEM to a mesh filter it picked up close to 1/4hp.

I'd think the improvement would be even more with this build.

Here's the one Joe used.

Wow! Pretty good gain. Think it also gained from opening the intake elbow...making it a straight Shot into the carb. Surprisingly the 044/046 type carb upgrades only made a slight increase.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Air filter Pics for the preverts.
IMG_2072.jpeg
IMG_2069.jpeg

Tried to glue that seal on the mesh filter. Kinda worked.

IMG_2071.jpegIMG_2070.jpeg

The top cover doesn’t sit down as tight as stock. For the moment I’ll consider it extra ventilation.
IMG_2074.jpeg

I cut a little hanger out at my place. It doesn’t have much trouble with 12” pine trees. There’s no big wood up here. But the chain is sharp. Hopefully I’ll get to the wood lot and do some real tuning.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
8:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking good 👍 I like the custom av mounts. Curious to see how much more timing advance is needed to get it dialed in.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You got me tempted to do bad things to one of these next winter.
View attachment 420747

How do you like the Clone? I’m thinking of buying one to do a cleaner version of this build.

I also think a 362 is worth examining. If it could house a 441 crank the whole build would be more heavy duty. The 440 crank is a cupcake. Late 362 has a better filter setup as well.