Stihl 361 Junkyard Zombie Mutant

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
7:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nearing final assembly. The muffler exit is roughly 100% of the port.
IMG_1969.jpeg

Modded the inside of the air filter.IMG_1967.jpeg

The flywheel is an eBay $10 036. The 440 crank has a different taper than the 361 flywheel. I scavenged a key from the 026 crypt next door. The lower coil mount needs stretched a tad to make room for the flywheel.IMG_1968.jpeg

The top ended up like this. I had to trim the plastic more than I expected. Both corners of the top fins on the exhaust side were holding up the cover. I had to hack the fin where the mount bolt is and then stabilize the bolt with a bit of fuel line. It will probably melt. IMG_1965.jpeg

Tomorrow all I need to do is assemble the clutch side. Then I can fire it up. I’ll disassemble and examine after the first hot run, if it will even pop. 🤘🏼🤞🏼🤘🏼
IMG_1970.jpeg

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Caleb, they make AM mesh airfilters for the 361. They have on eBay. Make a big difference. Move a lot more air.

Do you think the ignition timing will be the same with the other flywheel?

Joe was doing some tests on an almost stock 361 and going from the OEM to a mesh filter it picked up close to 1/4hp.

I'd think the improvement would be even more with this build.

Here's the one Joe used.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Caleb, they make AM mesh airfilters for the 361. They have on eBay. Make a big difference. Move a lot more air.

Do you think the ignition timing will be the same with the other flywheel?

The mesh filter is on my “forgot to order” list. Should be here this week.

I wonder the same thing about the ignition. I’m going to try it stock. It’s in the ball park. I haven’t clocked it but it’s somewhere around 30 degrees BTDC.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too bad the rest of the clutch assembly wasn’t that easy. It turns out that the 440 crank is threaded an extra 2mm compared to the 361 crank. That means the clutch spins down far enough to squeeze the oil deflection washer onto the oiler gear. That would melt the gear and oil at idle. Can’t have that. Back to the lathe.
IMG_1987.jpeg
IMG_1988.jpeg

Put the clutch back on. Still too tight. Maybe…
IMG_1989.jpeg

Nope. I had to pitch it completely, only to
discover the clutch was contacting the gear itself. So…
IMG_1990.jpeg
IMG_1991.jpeg

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The starter side turn up a clearance issue as well. The pull housing doesn’t fit the 036 flywheel. I had to take quite a lot of the internal flanges.

Luckily I had this handy observation port to help diagnose.
IMG_1984.jpeg

The mismatch to the plastic shows how much I removed. I had to do the plastic as well.
IMG_1986.jpeg

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what should have taken an hour took three but it did go together and turn over…

That’s when I discovered I didn’t have spark. Neither of my graveyard coils so much as fizzles. So I’m dead in the water until a coil shows up. No vids this weekend. Bummer.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me too! I’m not sure what’s up here. I haven’t been able to get spark no matter what coil I use. I’m going to try an 036 coil if I can fit it. I kinda suspect my flywheel.
Are the mags good? Great thread Caleb! You're funnier than a rubber crutch. I'm almost out of popcorn. 🤣I have laughed out loud so many times reading this. I've shared it with my buddy who's not on here. He said he may join just for the entertainment and education!