Random pics (that you took) thread...

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A Goose and a Gander on the hay stack this morning.
We had 3 pair when I was a kid.
Had one tor Thanksgiving and that created an odd Male. (VERY ODD) he was singled out by the other 4 and we finally let him run as a pet.
Called him "GEORGE". He was a great but cantankerous pet and GUARD GOOSE. Our family has Lots of stories to remember him.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are they good machines? Or do they need a lot of work?

Almost everyone I talk to that owns one really likes it. They say excellent mileage and power.
For me, they don't have the power (or the truck size) to haul/pull what I want.
There have been a multitude of wiring issues, most of which is actually a result of piss poor manufacturing of the harnesses themselves.
There's the typical diesel emissions issues that plagues them all these days.
They are a pain in the azz to work on.

I think most just want to say they have a diesel.
What many tow could be done safely with a gas truck, and the claims of better mileage with the diesel, well, when fuel is sometimes a dollar a gallon more, the maintenance costs more and the initial purchase price costs more, the "want" or "I have a.." is the only real reason behind the purchase.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Almost everyone I talk to that owns one really likes it. They say excellent mileage and power.
There have been a multitude of wiring issues, most of which is actually a result of piss poor manufacturing of the harnesses themselves.

What many tow could be done safely with a gas truck, and the claims of better mileage with the diesel, well, when fuel is sometimes a dollar a gallon more, the maintenance costs more and the initial purchase price costs more, the "want" or "I have a.." is the only real reason behind the purchase.
So.....keeping my 351W powered 83 Ferd ain't a bad idea?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back when diesels were reliable, less expensive, and actually got better mpg, a gas truck didn’t make sense. Buy a diesel and it will last longer, tow more, and use less fuel.

Now gas makes good power and gets better mpg and doesn’t have the emissions headaches. I was really impressed with a titan I rented up in Idaho a couple years ago. I flogged it over the mountains and it got good mpg hauling butt

I often wish I had bought a power wagon with all the off road goodies instead of my ‘11. I mainly got the ‘11 so I could tow military trucks but haven’t gotten a round tuit yet anyway.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
7:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Very well said.

At this point I’ve had so many diesels I don’t know how to work on gas engines. I was probably the “because it’s a diesel” guy back in the day. Still not sure if I adequately utilize the towing capacity. But I have a lot of confidence in diesel reliability and longevity. The older, simpler ones anyway.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very well said.

At this point I’ve had so many diesels I don’t know how to work on gas engines. I was probably the “because it’s a diesel” guy back in the day. Still not sure if I adequately utilize the towing capacity. But I have a lot of confidence in diesel reliability and longevity. The older, simpler ones anyway.

The emissions are what makes them a pain.
My 2013 Duramax began to set turbo vane dtc's while pulling our 5th wheel out to South Dakota.
Once the egr quit working...
The turbo vanes quit sticking and has been issue free since.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The emissions are what makes them a pain.
My 2013 Duramax began to set turbo vane dtc's while pulling our 5th wheel out to South Dakota.
Once the egr quit working...
The turbo vanes quit sticking and has been issue free since.
I have a 2012. Had the DEF and EGR deleted. No problems since. It might detonate tomorrow, but been trouble free for several years now.