Toro z5035 zero turn repair?

stihlproincky

Active OPE Member
Local time
2:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First post here, we have recently acquired a Toro z5035 in need of repairs. It has a kawasaki motor that runs excellent.
The problem is with the drive/drive motors so when the drive engage /disengage switch is engaged it won't do anything, if you take it out and leave it between engaged/disengage it goes forward but no reverse in any position. Guy we got it from said something came loose with the left side drive motor causing it to go sideways, after he "fixed it" it would drive for 2-3 minutes and quite driving. Does it seem like this is a adjustment issue or should we replace drive motors, if you need more info let me know.
Mowers are something I'm learning about so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm struggling to decode your post. When you say the "drive engage/disengage switch" are you talking about the control levers used to drive it? Or the brake? That mower has sealed transmissions which are considered non-serviceable, so most dealers simply replace them when they go bad.

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK that is called the bypass lever. If that's not working then he probably didn't reassemble it properly.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That lever is a formed piece of heavy wire. I have seen them get bent so it does not place the bypass lever on the transmission fully in the engaged position. The lever is really partially in the bypass position and the transmission won't drive. Try moving the lever on the transmission a little bit and see if it starts driving again.
It is odd that it would go forward but not reverse. There may be something amiss in the control levers that make it move as well.
Maybe the motor came loose from its mountings and screwed up all the linkages?

Last edited:

stihlproincky

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Appreciate the replies this is kinda what I figured. Still question why after running for 2-3 minutes the right side quits working altogether, any thoughts??

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually that is due to the oil getting warmed up and starting to bypass the pump because of damage between the pump surfaces. But of course make sure the belt is in good shape as well.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with EFSM.
But check out and eliminate all other possibilities first. Those hydro units are not cheap!

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But check out and eliminate all other possibilities first. Those hydro units are not cheap!
Yes, absolutely. I took the initial complaint as meaning the previous owner had disassembled the transmission but maybe I was jumping to conclusions. Be sure to check the bypass lever; if it's bent that could be your whole problem.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately what you are describing is a bad transaxle. The hydro gear zt-2200 (EZT) is a super common light duty transaxle in most entry level consumer ZTR mower. They are marketed as a maintenance free unit meaning the oil is not designed to be changed. So most units last around 300-600 hours before one side gets weak or quits all together.

You can change the oil in them but it requires removing each transaxle from the mower and draining the oil through the vent. Once it is all drained then you turn the unit back over and fill it with 20w50 engine oil.

stihlproincky

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really appreciate y'alls help, we'll do some looking in to this stuff. Thanks again.