Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was this shop a Stihl dealer in Winona at one time?

1714847308729.png

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was this shop a Stihl dealer in Winona at one time?

View attachment 418421
Not in my memory. Maybe before I was around… The only Stihl dealers I remember were Tri-Mac Hardware on 2nd St (where I bought my first) and then Ace Hardware when we picked them up to compete. Tri-Mac went out of business and I ended up managing the dealership for over 6 years before I left.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I came up with that location doing a google search for Stihl dealers, Winona Minnesota. Of course "google" knows all..:)....joke intended. I want to be clear I did not use the Stihl site. I also want to be clear I am far from anti Stihl. I love my Stihl saws, I have a barn full of them back to the Contra Sand Cast that was built on the first day of production in 1959. What I very much am against is them pissing on the guys and gals that got them to where they are today. They were a great company with a strong structure but the folks in charge today are now pieces of poop. Now all you negative Nancy's Stihl underwear wearing folks will say so did such and such company. You damn right all other saw companies did so and did it first. Stihl was just the final company to do so but that means nothing to the dealers that put their blood, sweat, tears, and YEARS into building the customer base that the greedy corporate bastards at Stihl are trying to molest. Anyone who thinks I am wrong I ask you to go find a Simplicity dealer with a new 2023 or 2024 stock of Simplicity zero-turn mowers. I challenge you to do so. Then if you find a Simplicity dealer ak why they do not have any zero turns in stock and when they can get one.

MemphisMechanic

Unreliable Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So now are any of the aftermarket tanks any good?
I put a farmertec rear handle / tank into a ported 044 built for a friend. Tank vent leaked and had to be replaced. Control lever would not kill the saw unless bent hard to the right while flipped up. Swapping the OEM lever into the saw fixed that, which worked out because I wanted to keep the red lever anyway.

I was extremely unimpressed with the quality in every way, and that brief exposure left me very sympathetic toward anyone who buys an entire Farmertec/Hutzl/Holzfforma clone saw. I now find it amusing when guys on milling forums brag about their cheap clone 066, then proceed to detail how it’s in a constant state of disrepair, slowly getting various broken parts upgraded to OEM.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 660 that my son was using to buck logs on a job about 4 or 5 years ago. No one has come up with a definitive answer on what happened. It came back with an aftermarket tank than that was fine. What was not fine was the cracks in the case at one of the bar studs.

Last edited:

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
4:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That saw has left a wee stain under it on the bench, but whether it was the cap leaking or the tank I can't say. Personally, when I needed a new tank for my 044 I went for oem and don't regret it in the slightest.