STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seeing this discussion about a 261 feeling heavy is funny to me... i have hereditary degenerative disc desease, so my back has always been a mess... if im not reaching for a ms170 or ms194t(which is a recent addition and light years more grunt than my tired 170, in a lighter package) i am usually reaching for bare minimum my 044 or my 661... 🤣 depending on what length bar i need for the job at hand... my ms280 almost never comes out, probably because it wears an 18" bar, and my 044 currently wears a 20... given those 2 saws with similar bars, which would you grab, the muffler modded 280 or the ported and muff modded 044....LOL one of those saws is way more fun than the other....
The big saws are fun for sure. It's hard for me to justify dragging out the 7900 or 288 for cutting mostly 6"-18" spruce and the occasional birch.

Last edited:

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The big saws are fun for sure. It's hard for me to justify dragging out the 7900 or 288 for logging mostly 6"-18" spruce and the occasional birch. Sometimes I use the ported MS361. The 288 is pretty handy to keep at the splitter for breaking down twisted birch crotches though.
90%of my time is spent clearing trails, hauling and processing wood. An extra second or two in the cut doesn't amount to much.
For me, i am doing it all as a hobby..... i dont burn wood, i dont even have any land currently... i live in an apartment, but i work as a small engine mechanic, and love working on this stuff, and i like bringing back stuff from the dead... both my 044 and my 661 were scrap heap saws....044 was straight gassed, 661 was catastrophic piston failure (most of the intake side skirt was in pieces in the box that i recieved the saw in...LOL) i see it as a fun hobby, in addition to being my job....LOL

99% of my wood cutting is done at a buddy's lot who is a tree guy.... we have fun discussing the aspects of stock vs ported, and playing around with sharpening angles and types and what not....if i needed to do actual work with my saws, i have a feeling the 280 would be the go to, depending on what i was doing.... the 044 (at least in my hands) however, doesnt feel much heavier than the 280...so there is that...

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me, i am doing it all as a hobby..... i dont burn wood, i dont even have any land currently... i live in an apartment, but i work as a small engine mechanic, and love working on this stuff, and i like bringing back stuff from the dead... both my 044 and my 661 were scrap heap saws....044 was straight gassed, 661 was catastrophic piston failure (most of the intake side skirt was in pieces in the box that i recieved the saw in...LOL) i see it as a fun hobby, in addition to being my job....LOL

99% of my wood cutting is done at a buddy's lot who is a tree guy.... we have fun discussing the aspects of stock vs ported, and playing around with sharpening angles and types and what not....if i needed to do actual work with my saws, i have a feeling the 280 would be the go to, depending on what i was doing.... the 044 (at least in my hands) however, doesnt feel much heavier than the 280...so there is that...
Right on! It's definitely satisfying to turn broken saws into sweet running machines. Looks like your 044 only weighs about a pound an half more than the ms280. I'd imagine, being ported, the 044 really shines in the bigger stuff. After running ported saws it's hard to go back to stockers.😆

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right on! It's definitely satisfying to turn broken saws into sweet running machines. Looks like your 044 only weighs about a pound an half more than the ms280. I'd imagine, being ported, the 044 really shines in the bigger stuff. After running ported saws it's hard to go back to stockers.😆
It hold its own 🤣 stock out of the box stihl square grind on a 20" bar...

The ole 661 likes a big bar and chain.... 32" 404 full skip, square grind, also stihl, straight off the roll (might shock you that we didnt have a precut for a mac bar modified for use on a stihl at the shop🤣🤣🤣)

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hey got a question , our fire department where i currently work has gotten a few stihl msa300c battery saws to use to ventilate roofs when the smoke or oxygen is too low for our 460/461 to run. the problem is they are using .325 carbide chain instead of rescue chain. local stihl dealer say it cant be switched over. looks like a standard stihl rim sprocket. from what i see a sprocket swap and bar swap to 3/8 and it should work. any one ever switched one of these over to 3/8? thnks

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody here an 041 fan? My papaw had one as his only saw and he worked it hard for years on several different farms. It was the second saw I ever ran, first was dad's Homie Super 2. Sadly, an opportunistic relative by marriage snagged it after he passed. If I came across a nice one I might buy it to remember him.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody here an 041 fan? My papaw had one as his only saw and he worked it hard for years on several different farms. It was the second saw I ever ran, first was dad's Homie Super 2. Sadly, an opportunistic relative by marriage snagged it after he passed. If I came across a nice one I might buy it to remember him.
There's currently about forty or so 041s for sale on eBay ranging from heavily used and wore out to like new. Also lots of used parts available. Seams there were probably quite a few made.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a nice looking 041 on Fleabay for $150.00. Allegedly it ran last year, year of production comes up as 1979 on a serial number decoder I found. If it's still available when I get back from vacation I may buy it.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a nice looking 041 on Fleabay for $150.00. Allegedly it ran last year, year of production comes up as 1979 on a serial number decoder I found. If it's still available when I get back from vacation I may buy it.

Looks pretty good for the price. Where you going on vacation Ferguson? A family and friends kinda thing or just a getaway?

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mom has a ton of airline and hotel points that are soon to expire so she is taking me and the kid to Yellowstone. Trip of a lifetime, and I've resolved not to put anything on credit cards. So, buying any saws is out of the picture right now.
Sounds like a great vacation. It's a beautiful area. Very wise avoiding debt.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mom has a ton of airline and hotel points that are soon to expire so she is taking me and the kid to Yellowstone. Trip of a lifetime, and I've resolved not to put anything on credit cards. So, buying any saws is out of the picture right now.
Sounds like a fun trip. Take lots of pictures and have a fun! Oh and please, don't be one of the tourists that think they have to stand next to a Grizzly or Bison to have their picture took.....LOL